Friday, January 09, 2009

Unlike most of you, I don't have a High school Diploma

"Unlike most of you, I don't have a High school Diploma."

That was the first thing out of my History professors mouth, when he started the first lecture of the semester. That seemed to get every one's attention. He also told us about the two University degrees he eventually acquired as a mature student and some of the fairly impressive things he's done. He then went on with a pretty interesting lecture about Canadian History. He used the word asshole quite a bit and that made me chuckle a few times.

I don't think I'm going to be learning the boring version of Canadian History this semester...

3 comments:

  1. My best friend dropped out of high school, went back and got his diploma at night school. He then went on to RT school 10 years later and is the night shift supervisor at one of the major hospitals in the area 3 years after graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound interesting. I don't have to take history for my RT degree, unless I decide to do it for a humanities elective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcus: I also dropped out of High school once. Your friend didn't do things the easy way and I suspect that most people give him a fair bit of respect because of it. I strongly believe in the value of an eduction. I don't really think much of academic credentials though. You don't have to look very far to find an ignorant and or stupid person with impressive academic credentials. I have a pretty crappy academic history myself and that hasn't been much of an impediment to me.

    Trauma Junkie: The History course is an elective for me. The school won't give me credit for any courses that I've taken more than 7 years ago, so I have to take 2 of the 3 required electives.

    ReplyDelete