Monday, April 19, 2010

Things haven't been going well

My clinical rotations start in less than three weeks and things haven't been going so well.  So far, I've failed two Ventilator competencies and my NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) practical.  I failed my second Ventilators competency today, with a mark of 25%.   I had a scenario that included a a two day old term baby. I ventilated him as though he was a 30 week gestational age prem.  I also made a major mistake in setting up the pressure that I was using to give the baby his tidal volumes.  I thought I was ventilating with a PIP (Peak Inspiratory Pressure) of 25cmH20 when I was actually ventilating with a PIP of 20cmH2O. I was unwilling to increase the  PIP any higher, so I wasn't able to achieve the target tidal volume that was required.

I'm currently studying for final exams and the cumulative composite exam.  The cumulative composite exam covers 2 years of material. While I'm writing exams, I'll also have to prepare for and redo my NRP certification practical and my second Ventilator competency.  If I don't pass my NRP practical redo and get my NRP certification, I won't be allowed to do my NICU rotation.  If I don't pass my competency redo, I'll fail my Ventilators course.  If I don't those two redos, I won't be allowed to do my clinical rotations.  Now I know how it feels to be on the verge of failing and it really sucks.

I did however get perfect on my PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) competency.  Lots of people didn't do so well on that one.  Apparently the trick to doing that one well, was to watch the patient instead of the computer while getting the patient to do a flow volume loop.

I really hope things turn around, going forward.

2 comments:

  1. Infant ventilation can be overwhelming if not a little scary. Go on Rick Frea's site...he has some good information to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I redid my vents competency yesterday and it seemed to go well.

    I redid my NRP competency today. I made a couple of obvious mistakes, but recognized them and recoverd. The resuscitation seemed to go well, really fast, which I'm hoping is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete