Sunday, July 01, 2007

A bad financial move

Well it finally sunk in, with full force. This career change is a really bad financial move. When I'm finished school and working as a Respiratory Therapist, I will probably be making about 40% of what I was making when I was working as a full time IT Professional.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all interested in continuing on as a full time IT Professional. Financial reality has left me open, grudgingly, to the possibility of being a part time IT Professional for an indefinite period of time. I've already started telling people that, "I'm going to go back to school, so that I can get a more stressful and lower paying job". I usually think that line's pretty funny, sometimes I don't.

I spent most of today, and a couple of hours last week, shopping for furniture for my condo. I've already thrown out most of my crappy old furniture. While shopping I decided that I would get good furniture, that I like, and wouldn't get caught up on how expensive everything is. I'm 36 years old and I'm tired of living with crappy furniture, that lasts about as long as a decent pair of socks!

The end result is that I spent $10,811.17 on new furniture. I'm probably going to end up spending about $15, 000.00 when I'm finished getting all of the furniture that I want and need. Next year, I'm going to make about $38,000.00, if I'm lucky. When I'm finished buying my furniture, I'll have spent 40% of next years income on furniture!

What did I get for $10,811.17?
  • A bed: $2,265.02
  • A dresser and night stand for the bedroom: $2,125.42
  • A sofa and chair for the living room: $3,338.38
  • A dining room table and 4 chairs: $2,956.96
  • A floor lamp for the living room: $125.39

All of the above, except the floor lamp, was on sale. I saved about $1,500.00, because everything was on sale. I suspect that expensive furniture is always "on sale" so that people feel less depressed about how much money they spend on it.

What do I still need to get?

  • A headboard for my bend. I have this odd fear about getting my head stuck between my bed and the wall that the bed's up against. I'm hoping that a headboard will prevent me from getting my head stuck between a wall and my bed.
  • 3 big book cases (I've decided to get cheap ones, for a total of about $500).
  • A microwave.
  • A table for the dining room.
  • A couple of end tables for the dining room.
  • A TV and TV stand.
  • A vacuum cleaner.
  • A lamp for the night stand.
  • A desk for my computer.
  • A bunch of plants, to put in the empty spaces that I can't afford to put furniture in.

Things that i won't be getting:

  • A new laptop.
  • A new computer.
  • A phone. I'm just going to have a cell phone.
  • Cable TV. I have access to the Internet and know how to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment